2011 March 17
Photo Via Billy Farrell Agency View Gallery
The 2011 CFDA noms were announced last night, so Chic thought we'd dig up ten interesting CFDA-ish tidbits for your reading pleasure. Enjoy!
1. The founder of the CFDA, Eleanor Lambert, was born in Crawfordsville, Indiana--the home of the Crawfordsville monster. Spotted in the 19th century, accounts describe the beast to be "cloud-like" with red, glowing eyes. Reports now claim it was only a flock of birds.
2. Nadja Swarovski, whose company sponsors the Awards, bears a first name that means "hope" in Russian.
3. Eugenia Sheppard once said, "For the second time in history, women are in a dither about a young man called Valentino. This time he is not a movie star, but a fashion designer from Rome." An award in her honor has been given out since 1987.
4. Nancy Reagan won the Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award in 1988, the same year that former White House Chief of Staff Donald T. Regan published his memoir outing the former First Lady's obsession with astrology.
5. Bill Cunningham has picked up three awards total, in 1982, 1983, 1993. We love this guy.
6. The Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award was established in 1984. The award's namesake originally studied medicine at Tulane University.
7. DvF, the CFDA prez, hails from Brussels, Belgium--a place known for the world's best waffles.
8. Ernst & Young is the official accounting firm for the Awards and, as of 2006, happens to be one of the 10 Best Companies for Working Mothers (as voted by Working Mothers magazine).
9. Lincoln Center, the home of the CFDA Awards, may have gotten its name from Lincoln Square...or Abe Lincoln. Reports are unclear.
10. Bill Blass was one of the founding members of the CFDA, but did you also know he was a chef? In 1983, he published Dining in Manhattan Cookbook: A Collection of Gourmet Recipes for Complete Meals from Manhattan's Finest Restaurants, with Joan G. Hauser.
Want to stay chez Karl Lagerfeld? The designer has signed on...
On Tuesday night, art lovers, designers and socials flocked ...
WHAT: d.Ra Stacy Skirt...WHY: The cherry blossoms won’t have...