2011 March 28
We would never expect Alice + Olivia designer Stacey Bendet to have an ordinary room for her 3-year old daughter Eloise. Not our Stacey! She shares her tips on how to make the bedroom more fun for your baby.
"Baby blue, pastel pink, and little bunnies and ruffles on gingham are just not my deal. Here are some ways to create a more dynamic room for your baby or really a child of any age!
1. A slide. Who says a playroom has to be some foam flooring and cabinets filled with books and toys? You can easily create a mini playground or climbing structure indoors with a little carpentry help! Ok, maybe a lot of carpentry help, but if you have the space to do it, why not?!
2. Custom pillows. I love bright-colored pillows and it seems the interior decorators and pillow stores of the world just don’t really feel the same way, so, I find fun fabrics in bold bright colors and a seamstress to make the pillow cases. You can buy an inexpensive pillow from anywhere or just use an old one for the inside! For the less ambitious, CB2, Urban Outfitters, and Jonathan Adler do make some fun colored pillows!
3. Refurbishing a rocking chair. I am not so into the baby mod glider things. I found a vintage rocker and lacquered it in a bright purple and made a fun polkadot cushion for the seat.
4. Lacquering cabinets. Most baby and toddler furniture comes in walnut or white, so I took 2 of the drawers out of our dresser and painted them a bright yellow. Much more fun and unique now!
5. Colorful picture frames. These can brighten up any wall! In Eloise’s room I bought fun frames from Jon Murphy, of course I repainted some of them (basic spray paint works) to make the colors even more vibrant. We did purple, yellow, neon pink, and orange.
6. Painting shelves. A little trick is to buy a basic white shelving unit and then to lacquer it in a fun color. You can even use a set of old shelves but a bold color pop can really add personality to a room. I personally like neon pink but any color goes.
It's always an editrix-studded affair when Ann Taylor presents...
Where was every serious foodie in Manhattan on Wednesday night...
WHAT: Missoni Necklace...WHY: All of the Spring 2014 collections...